Discover: Day 44

Weekly Memory Verse:

Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them."
John 14:23 (TNIV)

 

Meditation Thought:

Obedience is simply doing what I am told. Would God describe me as "obedient"?

 

Today's Reading - Matthew 21:28-32 (NET) Choose another translation

"What do you think? A man had two sons. He went to the first and said, 'Son, go and work in the vineyard today.'  The boy answered, 'I will not.' But later he had a change of heart and went.  The father went to the other son and said the same thing. This boy answered, 'I will, sir,' but did not go.  Which of the two did his father's will?" They said, "The first." Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, tax collectors and prostitutes will go ahead of you into the kingdom of God!  For John came to you in the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him. But the tax collectors and prostitutes did believe. Although you saw this, you did not later change your minds and believe him."

(Today's reading came from the NET Bible)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always tried to be an obedient child and not give any trouble...just ask my mom and dad! So I believe for the most part, as much as lieth in me, and without too much scrutiny, I can be described as obedient by God, my Heavenly Father. There are times I will kick and scream and say I am not going to do it and then decide I should just do it and am blessed with that decision.

Anonymous said...

I think maybe obedient but slow to listen & stubborn, maybe even one thick headed country boy. I am glad God's grace is present.

RWT711 said...

Being obedient to God is easy.
When I'm listening...

Anonymous said...

It is so easy to say yes and not follow. I can relate to the second son, unfortunately. My desire would be to say yes immediately and obey. More for me to work on!

Lynette said...

Like Mrs. Connors, I feel I was a pretty good kid. I've always tried to play the straight and narrow, but occasionally I've gone off course because of my own desires. It's very easy to rationalize why it's okay to do something rather than listening to the Holy Spirit, who is telling you to go the other way. I was obedient in moving, but man was it a battle. Sometimes I don't want to listen to the voice that says, "go here...don't do that...trust me."