Discover: Day 39

Weekly Memory Verse:

If anyone wants to come with me, he must deny himself, pick up his cross every day, and follow me continually. Luke 9:23 (ISV)

 

Meditation Thought:

Do I need to change my job so I can join God in His work?

 

Today's Reading - 1 Kings 19:15-21 (NCV) Choose another translation

The Lord said to him, "Go back on the road that leads to the desert around Damascus. Enter that city, and pour olive oil on Hazael to make him king over Aram. Then pour oil on Jehu son of Nimshi to make him king over Israel. Next, pour oil on Elisha son of Shaphat from Abel Meholah to make him a prophet in your place. Jehu will kill anyone who escapes from Hazael's sword, and Elisha will kill anyone who escapes from Jehu's sword. I have seven thousand people left in Israel who have never bowed down before Baal and whose mouths have never kissed his idol."

So Elijah left that place and found Elisha son of Shaphat plowing a field with a team of oxen. He owned twelve teams of oxen and was plowing with the twelfth team. Elijah came up to Elisha, took off his coat, and put it on Elisha. Then Elisha left his oxen and ran to follow Elijah. "Let me kiss my father and my mother good-bye," Elisha said. "Then I will go with you."

   Elijah answered, "Go back. It does not matter to me."

So Elisha went back and took his pair of oxen and killed them. He used their wooden yoke for a fire. Then he cooked the meat and gave it to the people. After they ate it, Elisha left and followed Elijah and became his helper.

(Today's reading came from the New Century Version)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think so. But it is His plan not mine. It will happen as He wants it to happen. If we are following Him then, God is in control.

Daniel Goepfrich said...

YES!

Actually, I have stepped back in my technology business because what God is doing at OTCC is too important for me to miss.

Although it has been difficult for both me and the business, Saralynn and I believe it is the right thing to do.

So, yeah, I kind of changed my job to more fully join in God's work.

stephen said...

What a day to have THAT question.

stephen said...

You've got to be kidding me?! Look at wsbt.com's question of the day! And I won't even get an answer on this til next week!

RWT711 said...

I'm always open to what the Lord is doing with my work. It seems though that I have found what I love to do and I think that the Lord knows my strengths and will continue to bless my work.

Anonymous said...

God has been talking to some of us, huh Stephen and Daniel! I will let God have the control like Michael and use my strengths and passions like Rob to bless and be blessed.