Discover: Day 5

Weekly Memory Verse:

Jesus replied, "My Father is always working, and so am I." John 5:17 (NLT)

 

Meditation Thought:

God's greatest work for people is forgiveness.  Have I asked Him to forgive me today?

 

Today's Reading - Jonah 3 (NASB) Choose another translation

Now the word of the LORD came to Jonah the second time, saying, "Arise, go to Nineveh the great city and proclaim to it the proclamation which I am going to tell you." So Jonah arose and went to Nineveh according to the word of the LORD.

Now Nineveh was an exceedingly great city, a three days' walk. Then Jonah began to go through the city one day's walk; and he cried out and said, "Yet forty days and Nineveh will be overthrown." Then the people of Nineveh believed in God; and they called a fast and put on sackcloth from the greatest to the least of them.

When the word reached the king of Nineveh, he arose from his throne, laid aside his robe from him, covered himself with sackcloth and sat on the ashes. He issued a proclamation and it said, "In Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles: Do not let man, beast, herd, or flock taste a thing. Do not let them eat or drink water. But both man and beast must be covered with sackcloth; and let men call on God earnestly that each may turn from his wicked way and from the violence which is in his hands. Who knows, God may turn and relent and withdraw His burning anger so that we will not perish."

When God saw their deeds, that they turned from their wicked way, then God relented concerning the calamity which He had declared He would bring upon them. And He did not do it.

(Today's reading came from the New American Standard Bible)

5 comments:

RWT711 said...

Blessed are those who fear the Lord.

Anonymous said...

WOW! This makes me once again realize the importance of obedience to God, of going to God in an attitude of humble reverence asking for forgiveness for my wicked ways. Today I ask for forgiveness, God, for my wickedness.

Daniel Goepfrich said...

It's amazing to me the awesome life-change that some people experience so quickly, while it takes me so long to get past the same stupid sins.

These were the most wicked people of their day, with no prior relationship to God, and God forgave them instantly.

Why does it take me so long to ask for that forgiveness He is so willing to give?

Anonymous said...

Maybe I fail to ask forgiveness because when dealing with my kids there are times I automatically forgive them and perhaps I think that my Heavenly Father does that for me. However, He has caused me to think of attitudes I have and ask His forgiveness and help to change.

Anonymous said...

God is quick to forgive us of our sins as he was in Jonah 3:1-10. We just need to ask him. Ephesians 1:3-8 reminds us that it is through Christ's Blood that our redemption lies. 1John 1:6-10 reminds us that “if we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins” How AWESOME it is to be Saved & forgiven. Pass it on. Forgiveness is the ultimate “pay it forward” gift!