Discover: Day 23

Weekly Memory Verse:

No one has ever seen God.  The One and Only Son -- the One who is at the Father's side -- He has revealed Him.
John 1:18 (HCSB)

 

Meditation Thought:

God is ready to talk to me.  Is my heart ready to hear Him?

 

Today's Reading - Proverbs 1:1-7 (GNT) Choose another translation

The proverbs of Solomon, son of David and king of Israel.

Here are proverbs that will help you recognize wisdom and good advice, and understand sayings with deep meaning.

They can teach you how to live intelligently and how to be honest, just, and fair.

They can make an inexperienced person clever and teach young people how to be resourceful.

These proverbs can even add to the knowledge of the wise and give guidance to the educated, so that they can understand the hidden meanings of proverbs and the problems that the wise raise.

To have knowledge, you must first have reverence for the LORD. Stupid people have no respect for wisdom and refuse to learn.

(Today's reading came from the Good News Translation)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, sort just lays it out there doesn't He. The last line sort of adds the exclamation point to the rest of the reading. Thank You Lord for wanting to talk to a humble, broken, failed, contrite man as I. To quote Samuel from last weeks reading "Speak; your servant is listening."

stephen said...

Yeah, I like the "stupid" statement. I'm ready to listen. The hard part is am I ready to follow.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Stephen. I am ready to listen, but I don't know if I am ready to lay it all on the line like the disciples did as we learned last week. Does being ready to listen include a willingness to follow?

RWT711 said...

I was told once that "Ignorance can be fixed, but you can't fix stupid".

So what are we supposed to do when we encounter it?

Daniel Goepfrich said...

Janie - Ready to listen and ready to follow are not the same. However, unwillingness to follow what we know is right holds us back from knowing God the way He wants us to know Him.

Rob - Proverbs 14:7 "Leave the presence of a fool, or you will not discern words of knowledge."